Sunday, April 06, 2008

Miss Pronuciation

When I first came to my school there was already a Mr. M and a Ms. M at my school so I figured I would just make my kids call me by full name. After all, I planned to learn how to pronounce their names so they should learn to pronounce mine. After six months, many of my kids and co-workers still do not have any clue how to pronounce my name. At first is was humorous when students would want to say hi to me in the hallways and they couldn't get past the initial consonant. Now, it's just vexing. Below is a list of my more favorite mispronunciations.

Macaraira
Macanamairah
Micknuhmaruh
Mackinack
Macnair
Micknair
Mactamaira

2 comments:

Tori Ball said...

I'm fairly sure that the ratio of the number of students who call me "Ms. Ball" to the number of students who calls me "Ms. Balls" hovers right around 1.

Anonymous said...

you should've had them call you "Ms. Mmmmm"- because that would be weird/awkward and, therefore, funny for me. If you started as "Ms. Mmmm", some kids would eventually call you "Ms. Mmmm-hmmm", which would make you sound extremely sassy.