Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Tuloy po kayo

Yahoo headlines dazzled again over the weekend with this awesome headline: 3,738 Mothers Set Breast-Feeding Record Obvi, I clicked the link and was delighted to find that my people, Filipinos, are the ones who can lay claim to a stunt encouraging the beautiful and natural act of mass breast-feeding. And it made me so proud. Then it occurred to me that I probably should have written a blog in April, the designated month to appreciate Asians, to spread the good word on Filipinos. I figure May is close enough since I'm only a quarter Asian. Without further ado (after all I'm not getting any more Asian) here are some important things you should know about Filipinos.


First things first, how to spot a Filipino American.
Filipino Americans are very notable in their above-average attractiveness. Take, for example, Vanessa Minillo Miss Teen USA 1998 and current MTV veejay/girlfriend to Derek Jeter or Nick Lachey.

Though a Filipino's beauty is pretty good give away, there are some outliers. After all, Rob Schneider is part Filipino. Last names are a more reliable indicator that someone is indeed Filipino. If you meet a person of obvious Asian descent yet they mysteriously have a Hispanic name, chances are good that they are Filipino. Take the quiz below to see if you can accurately guess which of the women shown is actually Filipino:











Now that you know how to spot a Pinoy, you are no doubt intimidated by their superiority to you in almost every way (except height). Have no fear,the followinng pictures will assure you that Filipinos are every bit as humble and down to Earth as the rest of us.



Filipinos -- they're just like us!

They play professional sports!



They're Prince! Actually that's a lie. I'm almost positive that Prince is not Filipino, but this website told me he was --twice. And who I am to combat a dubious website listing?







They have debilitating genetic disorders that stunt their growth!










They portray teenagers in movies despite being over 30 years old!



They served on the Takoma Park city council from 1995-1999!









They peaked in the nineties!




They have ugly moles and somewhat attractive girlfriends!













They ice skate!


















And with that, consider yourself educated on the wonderful world of Filipinos. Walang anuman. Don't fret if you don't understand them thar words, I certainly don't. I just went to this website and found a few Tagalog phrases that I most probably inappropriately used. Final Flip Fun Fact: Tagalog is prononced tuh-gahlic so don't go thinking it's a Girl Scout cookie.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

above average? seen plenty of ugly ones. just like everyone else.

Anonymous said...

ok to be racist if you're not white, eh? It's all wrong.

Rina said...

yay, michelle's a racist now too!

Bunifah Alize Jenkins said...

Don't pick on Dante Basco! I love him.

the_mayor said...

That comment about Dante Basco was more a dig on the casting director for that movie. It's not dante's fault he's aged so well, besides I wouldn't expect a person to turn down an acting job on the moral grounds that they were too old. Maybe I'm missing something about casting, but why couldn't they find people who looked 17 (and not 23-25) to portray a group of teenagers?

But a thousand apologies if you thought I was picking on him. Rufio, as i like to call him, is actually my favorite famous Filipino (no lie). He's a good dancer, he was great in Hook and he even directed a movie.

Anonymous said...

OMG!I'm Filipina and yet i didn't know DAnte Basco is Filipino!XD

Anonymous said...

"They have debilitating genetic disorders that stunt their growth" <--well duh!every race has it!